ReidGoodwin gives advice on how to take care of your home in freezing temperatures
We hope that our tips for driving in winter weather were helpful as Virginia welcomed snow last week. With the recent near record freezing temperatures, many of us in Virginia faced problems with our homes, like power outages and frozen water. While temperatures will be warming up this week, Winter is not over yet. ReidGoodwin has compiled some tips to help you ready your home for any future winter weather. We hope they help you enjoy this season without worrying about problems that could arise with your home.
- Plumbing is important. Make sure that you have serviced and checked your pipes before freezing temperatures or any major weather. Drain any hoses and store them for the season.
- Stay warm safely. If you will be using a fireplace and chimney, make sure that they are cleaned and ready to be used. It is also important to make sure that your heating system is tuned and ready when temperatures drop.
- Check your home for any leaks and make repairs. This can prevent a lot of damage with heavy snow and the water that will accumulate after it melts.
- Make sure that your roof and gutters are prepared for the snow by cleaning out your gutters and making any necessary repairs to your roof.
- Stay stocked. Make sure that if need be, you have a snow shovel, snow blower, ice melt, and generator. These items could help tremendously if you become snowed in or lose power. If you do own a generator, make sure that it is in working condition.
Here at ReidGoodwin, we wish you the best Winter and hope that you enjoy the weather it brings without worrying about taking care of your home. Stay tuned for more winter weather tips! If you’d like to read some tips on driving in the winter weather, click here!