Reid Goodwin partner, Brody Reid, broke down the five most important steps of Virginia Worker’s Compensation. Utilizing these tips is essential to every claim, regardless of your injury.
- Report It: You must report your injury to your supervisor within 30 days. Written notification is preferred to prove it later.
- Be Specific: When reporting give the date, location, time, and exact thing you were doing when you first felt anything.
- File A Claim: A claim with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission generally must be filed within two years of your specific injury.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Get checked out by a medical provider, be specific on how you were hurt and what hurts. Get a copy of any work restrictions/out of work notes. A panel of three doctors may be provided to select.
- Look For Work: If your employer will not take you back light duty, you must look for 5 jobs a week while out to be eligible for pay. Even if you are not yet fired.