September 22, 2015- Chesterfield, VA
Residents of Deer Run Drive in Chesterfield County were evacuated this morning after a gas line that was accidentally cut by a construction crews.
According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Columbia Gas shut off the gas line shortly after noon and are now in the process of repairing it.
While no injuries have been reported as a result of the leak in this case, natural gas is certainly a dangerous commodity capable of causing injury and damage to the public should gas escape from its lines.
Generally speaking, distributors of natural gas owe a continuing, non-delegable duty to use due care in its operations. So if a gas company has notice of defects in gas lines, pipes or customers’ appliances that are dangerous to human health and safety, it is obligated to repair those defects or shut off the gas until repairs can be completed. As such, gas companies are bound to inspect for discovery of leaks due to defects in materials, deterioration of pipes and valves, displacement or dislocation by accident, and weather.